Thursday, November 13, 2008

Field Trip - Adel Abdessemed

The piece that stayed with me the most were the holy books at the end. If the Qu'ran, the new testament or Torah are transcribed by prostitutes are they any less valid. When some religions don't consider literature by women to be valid, and and on top of that they also often condemn prostitution, is a volume of a holy book less holy or less meaningful when written by a prostitute. It really makes you think about the silliness of sexism and how society judges certain individuals. Also, just the thought of him going up to prostitutes and offering them money to transcribe books is hilarious.

Overall I thought the show was effective at making me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. The use of video I think was much more effective than still images because the movement and the sound really captured my attention, and the constant repetition really nailed it into my head.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

Good observation about repetition, which seemed a standard tool of his. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions of the use of repetition.

What about with the 1-second piece at the opening desk?