Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Field trip: Adel Abdessemed

In general I was not particularly moved by many of the pieces in this exhibit. The opera singer, speaking as a terrorist, was really just irritating. The cat eating the rat was disgusting in an expected way. The exhibit was loud.

The one piece where I was able to appreciate complexity was where milk was poured on the man's head, not because it looked demeaning, but because the man looked like he was suffocating. He reportedly hated milk. I felt suffocation, or claustrophobia.

At the end I spent a little more time with the cat videos, and I was able to see them as skittish in a desperate way, but I'm not sure if I would have gone back if I had not been told they were feral cats. 

I was particularly struck by the cocoon  of humidity I created once I finally took a seat in the subway car on my way home. 

2 comments:

Ravi said...

I connect your observation of claustrophobia with your experience in the cocoon of humidity. With the milk piece, was there anything in terms of the video technique or presentation that helped shape your reaction?

Leslie said...

Probably the direct shot of his face as the milk was being poured. I think it was important that the milk was poured slowly. It would not been the same if it had just been thrown at him. To have him standing on grass made for interesting contrast of natural elements.