Saturday, December 6, 2008

Adel Abdessemed

I just went to the List Visual Arts Center to view the Adel Abdessed exhibit. After hearing that it helped having a guide, I decided to do a little research on my own first. Still, after reading up on his background I think I definitely needed a tour guide.

This exhibit was nothing like I have seen before. Immediately entering the exhibit all of the combined noises and the different films going on portrayed a lot of emotion with out even reading any statements or articles. For example the films with the foot crushing different objects showed anger and frustration.

This exhibit is a perfect example of one that the audience would need some type of artists statement. For example, I was confused with all the small TVs with the cats until reading about them in the second room.

All in all my favorite two pieces were the burnt car and the short film where camera was dropped out of the helicopter. I walked around the car a few times. Just standing next to this piece was very powerful. When I first entered the next room the loop of the helicopter film was at the end. I almost overlooked it. Then it was interesting to see it start up again after realizing what it was.

My least favorite two pieces were the short clips that showed a man talking. One was in the first room and he was wearing fangs and the second he was wearing a clown nose. Even after reading about what they meant in the statements on the wall, I just found them not interesting at all. I found the last one that he was laughing and talking about being a terrorist especially annoying to even watch.

I do feel this exhibit made me feel uneasy and a little confused. This is not something I normally would go to see but I would like to go back on the 20th to hear what the guide would have to say about my unanswered questions.

No comments: