Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Artist Statement


Artist Statement

I've been interested in photography for as long as I can remember, but it was a friend who lived in my dorm freshman year of college who inspired me to start taking classes. I went into her room one day and she had these really amazing black and white photos tacked up on the walls. We started talking about photography and she showed me her portfolio. The next semester, I enrolled in what was to be the first of several classes. And I've been hooked since then.

I've noticed a theme in my own work, one that shows up over and over. I am fascinated by architecture, but not just by the buildings themselves; I like to explore the way light and angle can transform them, making them into something abstract. Sometimes I'll be walking down the street and, looking up, I'm shocked by what I see. I grew up in a small town in Michigan, so I think my love of architecture and cityscapes comes from the fact that they still seem so foreign and exotic to me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: