Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Backdrops by Ted Garland

Artist's Statement

I love movies.  I love to watch them and I love to make them.  I never tire of the magic that comes from filming one thing and having the audience believe it's another thing.  That's the experience that inspired this short film.

When my youngest daughter was cast in a recurring role on the TV show "Brotherhood", we began filming the pilot in a proud but poor neighborhood in Providence, Rhode Island.  When we returned a year later to film the second episode, the neighborhood had been photographed and the images turned into enormous backdrops hanging in a soundstage, several miles away. This video conveys my journey from the real world to the make-believe world of motion pictures.  The music is from the soundtrack of "Paycheck" composed by John Powell.

No comments: